InGAME, the Dundee-based innovation centre for the games and interactive sector, has created a new open challenge to create a pilot for inclusive and accessible immersive experiences for people with disabilities.
The Inclusive Design for Immersive Experiences Challenge offers small and medium enterprises (SMEs) across the UK, an opportunity to work directly with InGAME, StoryFutures Academy, Open Inclusion and XR Access, to pilot an ‘experimental inclusive innovation process’. It follows the successful Healthy Eating Challenge, created by InGAME and Nesta in Q4 2021.
Open For All
The challenge will focus upon creating immersive content that is more accessible, engaging and delightful to those with permanent lived experiences of disability. It will also include everyone who temporarily or situationally moves, senses, thinks or feels differently. Inclusive design improves the reach, user experience and consistency of immersive experiences.
The goal is to help creators to apply innovative approaches and toolkits to design, test and deliver immersive content that provides better experiences for every user.
The challenge will provide access to cutting-edge expertise in inclusive design, immersive production, commercialisation support, audience insights and user testing. It will also include focused workshops to help creators upskill in and embed innovative user-centred design practises into their future productions.
There are two stages to the application process:
- The Inclusive Innovation Lab – this is an interactive four-day programme designed to rapidly upskilled SMEs in the practice of inclusive innovation and design
- The Inclusive Design Accelerator – two teams will be selected for an eight-week programme to test and embed inclusive innovation concepts and user-centred features within existing, near-to-market IP.
The call for entries is open now. Applications close on 14th March 2022. Applicants will be notified via email by 22nd March 2022.
Apply To The Inclusive Design for Immersive Experiences Challenge
This call is open to all immersive content production companies across the UK. If you are registered in Scotland visit InGAME to access relevant materials, if you are registered in England, Wales or Northern Ireland apply to StoryFutures Academy.
- Ensure you are applying to the correct organisation (InGAME for Scotland, SFA for England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
- Register on InGAME to receive application materials for Scotland
- Read the guidance
- Read the heads of terms
- Read the guidance on submitting a pitch deck
- Upload a pitch deck and complete your application
Closing Date: 09:00 GMT Monday 14 March 2021
For more information and to enter the Inclusive Design for Immersive Experiences Challenge visit the InGAME website.
Photo by julien Tromeur on Unsplash