The Scottish Funding Council is offering 30 free places* on the next round of Developing a Data Driven Creative Company, an online course specifically designed for the creative industries to help create more successful businesses using data.
Featuring deep expertise from a range of University of Edinburgh staff and experienced industry professionals, the course includes case studies and specifically designed exercises which will lead to an enhanced understanding of your company’s data needs and capabilities. The aim is to develop a self-directed action plan by the conclusion of the course.
The second edition of the course runs every Wednesday afternoon, from 14:00 -15:30 for six weeks from 16 February 2022 – 23 March 2022.
Applications close on February 14 2022.
Developing a Data Driven Creative Company will support creative companies, cultural organisations, creative practitioners and freelancers. You will gain practical knowledge and skills that can help your business make a digital pivot and deal with the ongoing evolution and challenges of the rapidly evolving creative world.
This course is designed to:
- Build your data knowledge
- Develop confidence in handling your own data
- Create a self-directed action plan supported through the course
You can test your thoughts and emerging plans through engagement with your peer group and live Q&A with tutors, as well as learning from creative industry case studies. This is a guided process to allow you to confidently explore alone or with your teams the observations you have made, and move towards an agreed action plan you can implement at a specific time to suit your creative organisation.
What You’ll Learn
- How to recognise the different types of data in a creative business and the range of creative technology that uses or generates data.
- How well the data you collect aligns to your business objectives and supports their achievement.
- How to identify and address any data strategy gaps, and the skills and/or design development that may be required.
- How to manage data, processes and protocols, design interactions with other data sets, and data protection, ethics and governance.
- How to understand who’s who in data; exploring the various roles, demystifying functions, responsibilities, titles, skill sets.
- How to move from spreadsheets to dashboards and use data visualisations as a tool for decision making, and how to layer other data sources for greater insights.
- How to find out what else lies ahead in data driven innovation.
- How to use other resources, support, learning and research/innovation collaboration.
In gaming terms, it will let you use data to help you design, test and optimise your game concepts – and your whole business, with a focus on your players.
- Caroline Parkinson, Sector Engagement Manager, Creative Industries, Edinburgh Futures Institute
- Prof Chris Speed, Chair, Design Informatics, Bayes Centre/ECA
- Shannon Vallor, Chair, Data Ethics, Edinburgh Futures Institute
- Adam Carter, Programme Manager, Edinburgh Parallel Computer Centre
- Ewelina Lacka, Lecturer in Digital Marketing and Analytics, University of Edinburgh Business School
- Ian Gordon, Director of Impact Enhancement/Dissertation Advisor, University of Edinburgh Business School
|Companies with 2–50 individuals*||£250|
|Companies with over 50 individuals||£500|
To find out more, to claim one of the 30 free places – and to book your place on Developing a Data Driven Creative Company go here.
* Subject to availability