Lemmings: Can You Dig It? the new feature-length documentary that shines a light on Dundee’s first global smash videogame, will be premiered at a for-one-night-only charity screening in the Dundee Contemporary Arts Centre (DCA) on Thursday, December 2nd 2021.
The 8pm screening of Lemmings: Can You Dig It? will be followed by a 30 minute ask-me-anything (AMA) session with some of the key designers, developers and supporters in the Lemmings story.
Tickets for the screening cost £8 and are available now. All proceeds from sales go directly to the DCA to support the organisation and ensure it can continue to support the city’s artists, developers and creative community.
Can You Dig It?
Lemmings celebrated its 30th anniversary earlier this year. The game was part of the Britsoft revolution. Originally developed by DMA Design, it was first published for the Commodore Amiga by Liverpool-based Psygnosis on February 14th 1991 and has made its way to an incredible range of other platforms since, including Sony’s PlayStation (and most recently, mobile).
The documentary, Lemmings: Can You Dig It?, celebrates this icon games culture by speaking to the people behind its original success, while also celebrating its legacy in gameplay and beyond.
The film was commissioned by Lemmings‘ current publisher Exient and is directed by leading videogame film producer Richard Wilcox of That Video Company.
Lemmings: Can You Dig It? will be made available for general release via streaming platforms in December.
Among the DMA team members, industry folk, media and superfans to be featured in the documentary include:
- Adrian Powell (original Lemmings cover artist)
- Alyson Conway (sculpture artist)
- Brian ‘Biscuit’ Watson, (ex-DMA)
- Chris Scullion (journalist)
- Chris van der Kuyl (rival developer & Kingsway Club alumni)
- Eli Mouawad (streamer)
- Enrique Hervas (lead designer at Exient)
- Gary Penn (ex-DMA & journalist)
- Gary Timmons (ex-DMA)
- Gary Whitta (screen writer & journalist)
- Ian Hetherington (ex-Psygnosis)
- Jake Montanarini (Norwich University)
- James Roadley-Battin (art director at Exient)
- Kish Hirani (BAME In Games, ex-PlayStation)
- Larry Bundy Jr (TV presenter, YouTuber)
- Mike Dailly (ex-DMA)
- Nia Wearn (Staffordshire University)
- Nick Gorse (Coventry University)
- Paul Farley (ex-DMA)
- Peter Molyneux (games industry legend)
- Robin Gray (Gayming Magazine)
- Russell Kay (ex-DMA)
- Ryan Locke (Abertay University)
- Silvio Micalef (lead artist at Exient)
- Steve Hammond (ex-ex-DMA)
- Tim Wright (ex-DMA)
- Trista Bytes (superfan, YouTuber)
- and much, much more…