See The First Trailer For Lemmings: Can You Dig It? A New Feature Length Documentary Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the Game
A new documentary will shine a light on the design, development and and legacy of the iconic Lemmings videogame, which celebrated its 30th birthday in 2021.
Originally developed by DMA Design in Dundee, Lemmings quickly became a stalwart of the ‘Britsoft’ scene.
It was first published for the Commodore Amiga by Liverpool-based Psygnosis in 1991 and has made its way to many other platforms since, including Sony’s PlayStation (and more recently mobile).
The documentary, Lemmings 30th: Can You Dig It?, celebrates this icon of Scottish and UK games culture by speaking to the people behind its original success, while also celebrating its legacy in gameplay.
The documentary is directed by leading videogame film producer Richard Wilcox of That Video Company and commissioned by Exient, the company behind the mobile version of the game.
Lemmings: Can You Dig It? will be released on streaming services in Q4 2021.
The documentary features a galaxy of stars, games legends, developers, players and fans from across the games universe.
Guest stars include:
- Adrian Powell (original Lemmings cover artist)
- Chris Scullion (journalist)
- Chris van der Kuyl (developer & Kingsway Club alumni)
- Eli Mouawad (streamer)
- Enrique Hervas (Lead Designer at Exient)
- Gary Penn (ex-DMA & journalist)
- Gary Timmons (ex-DMA)
- Gary Whitta (screen writer & journalist)
- Ian Hetherington (ex-Psygnosis)
- Jake Montanarini (Norwich University)
- James Roadley-Battin (Art Director at Exient)
- Kish Hirani (BAME In Games, ex-PlayStation)
- Larry Bundy Jr (TV presenter, YouTuber)
- Nia Wearn (Staffordshire University)
- Nick Gorse (Coventry University)
- Paul Farley (ex-DMA)
- Peter Molyneux (games industry legend)
- Robin Gray (Gayming Magazine)
- Russell Kay (ex-DMA)
- Ryan Locke (Abertay University)
- Silvio Micalef (Lead Artist at Exient)
- Tim Wright (ex-DMA)
- Trista Bytes (superfan, YouTuber)
- and many, many more…
Jamie Wotton, Creative Marketing Manager at Exient told the Scottish Games Network:
We’re excited to help to celebrate the 30th birthday of Lemmings, which has to be one of the most-loved games ever made. It’s a game that has touched the hearts of so many fans, old and new, so with the documentary we want to give them something special in recognition of the impact Lemmings has had on global games and games culture.
Let’s Go: Mobile
Fans looking for a Lemmings today can can take advantage of the mobile game, available for iOS and Android devices – including retro graphics, ‘90s inspired Lemmings tribes and an ‘old skool’ soundtrack.
Lemmings Mobile, first published Exient in December 2018, refreshes the classic ‘90s platform experience for smartphones and tablets, tasking players with saving the adorable critters once again as they search for a new home in the face of environmental catastrophe.
Pingback: Dundee To Host Premiere Of Lemmings: Can You Dig It? Documentary