Carbon Based Lifeforms, the new game development studio based in Edinburgh, which announced an initial £1.75 million of funding in November 2021, has officially announced its first project – Hyperspace.
Hyperspace is a free-to-play science fiction massively-multiplayer online (MMO) sandbox game. Set in an entirely original universe, created by Carbon Based Lifeforms, and drawing from the classic aesthetic of the golden era of 1970s science fiction, Hyperspace gives players the freedom to choose their own style of play – from a galaxy-wide explorer, a high-tech engineer, or a law-breaking intergalactic outlaw.
Hyperspace tells a tale of unstable galaxies – in every sense of the word. Each rife for exploration and domination. Eaons ago an ambitious experiment to create a stable wormhole between two galaxies went wrong and both galaxies merged. As the game starts, four economic territories vie for control, as the devastating impact of the collision still ripple through the new super-galaxy and the disparate species struggle for survival – and dominance. Yet there are still opportunities to get out there, discover the past and make a better future. And possibly make some profit on the side.
Players can create characters based on one of eight playable races, each with their own expanded lore and culture within a much larger universe. They can then play with classes which include Hunters, Gatherers, Explorers, and Traders, allowing them to customise their experience to suit their style of play.
The super-galaxy is filled with thousands of star systems each with its own planets, multiple territories, and four different galactic currencies, giving players endless opportunities for exploration and conquest within an evolving sandbox.
Core Game Features
- Explore in style – Build your ship, explore the galaxy, trade across the depths of space or hunt down valuable bounties. With a huge array of different options, players can customise their vehicles to fit their goals.
- Meet the locals – In the vastness of the galaxy there are some colorful characters to encounter. Play as one of eight different races from the hulking Carbaryl to the insectoid Krivak, Each with a deep lore and history of how they made it to the stars.
- Careers advisor – Become a bounty hunter, weaponsmith, explorer, trader, or scout with various factions in space. Chart new routes through the galactic map or wait in ambush as others float too far from safety. Either way, Hyperspace hosts plenty of options for progression.
- Learn from history – Carbon Based Lifeforms will be announcing partnerships with several sci-fi writers to create an even greater depth, before players dive into the galaxy.
- Play to earn – Whether players choose to craft their way to fame, collect bounties on the outlaws of the galaxy, they’ll be able to make a fortune in-game, and have the chance to turn it into real-life money.
Theo Priestley, the CEO and Founder of Carbon Based Lifeforms, told SGN:
We are very excited to announce Hyperspace. We know that this game will mean a lot to the sci-fi gaming community, because it means a lot to us as fans of MMOs and science fiction ourselves. Our goal is to bring old school classic cosmic adventure into the next generation of sandbox MMOs with a vibrant player-driven economy and hugely expansive narrative to explore. We can’t wait to show you more, and hope you’ll join us on this journey… it’s going to be something special.
Hyperspace is now open for pre-registration. Players who sign up will be the first to receive updates on the upcoming alpha and beta testing phases. More game details, and first gameplay videos, will be available in the coming weeks and months.
Carbon Based Lifeforms are working with such talent including the award-winning composer Austin Wintory, FRAG Games, and Astrofish Games in the development of the first gameplay demonstration of Hyperspace.
You can find out more about Hyperspace by joining the game’s Discord channel or following it on Twitter.